Re: COSS stuff

From: <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:50:41 +0800

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> I am planning on taking a bash at it shortly in the limited environment
> I have at home. I will keep you posted.
>
> I do not have much left to do on my 2.2.STABLE5 branch now, only a
> sporadic segfault which hasn't been tracked down yet. Quite hard when
> Linux does not allow coredumps from threaded applications, and the
> automatic stack-trace functionality in GNU libc apparently does not work
> on Alpha processors....
>
> Once we have written some documentation on our administative interface
> and some other minor stuff we will begin playing around with "the next
> generation", where our initial goal for the Squid part is to double the
> performance from current ~10Mbit of live incoming internet traffic to at
> least ~20Mbit per box using the same hardware configuration, and
> hopefully also allow a larger cache size with the same amount of main
> memory. Timeframe is set to be able to deliver within 6 monts.

I have a similar aim, however squid has a lot of 'cruft' in its design
philosophy which currently limits its top speed. Its my hope to keep
pushing forward enough with my fs/network code modifications (including
kernel stuff) until some other interested parties take it over, so
I can work on other cache related stuff.

Unrelated note: squid-dev@squid-cache.org is nearly ready to be used.
I'll notify you all when its ready to move over. Don't prod it just yet. :-)

Adrian