Re: possible squid bugs [was: cacheability engine]

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:04:58 -0700

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> What about my earlier proposal to change the storeentry to only contain
> last-validated and fresh-until timestamps, and get rid of all other
> timestamps (including last-modified).
>
> last-validated is used for Age and Date headers. It is the date header
> from the last response seen for the object, or time the request was sent
> if no date header is present (or invalid date header).
>
> fresh-until is the result of the refresh check, and recalculated on
> cache hits.

And if the admin changes the refresh settings, the 'fresh-until' is
wrong for some cached objects?

By my reading of RFC2616, Age must be based on Date: (unless the
response already has an Age value). last-validated alone is not enough
to calculate Age.

I thought it would make sense to change entry->timestamp to entry->served_date,
and change entry->lastmod to entry->lastvalid. We can certainly drop
entry->expires. We could drop entry->lastref, except its used in GDS
and LFU replacement policies.

> This makes the timestamps non-ambigous, solves the issue where Squid is
> giving overly stale Date headers, uses less memory and fixes the refresh
> issue with cache digests.

stale date headers? How can a date header be stale? Caches aren't supposed
to update the date header.