Re: possible squid bugs [was: cacheability engine]

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:40:10 -0800

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 12:04:58AM -0700, Duane Wessels wrote:
> And if the admin changes the refresh settings, the 'fresh-until' is
> wrong for some cached objects?

That would only affect heuristic freshness, which would have to be
calculated upon each hit, rather than setting fresh-until at validation
time.

Do refresh settings affect objects with HTTP freshness set as well as those
using only heuristic freshness?

> By my reading of RFC2616, Age must be based on Date: (unless the
> response already has an Age value). last-validated alone is not enough
> to calculate Age.

If initial-age is subtracted from last-validated as it's stored, this should
be taken care of. In effect, last-validated reflects the last time the
object was validated on the origin server, getting rid of the effects of
intermediate caches.

An interesting side effect here is that heuristic calculation is more
conservative in the leaves of a hierarchy, because the age spent in the
high-level caches is accounted for. Probably a good thing, but should be
looked into.

--
Mark Nottingham, Senior Developer
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA)