Re: squid changes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik.nordstrom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:12:21 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Have you ever played with microkernel-based OSes? I haven't programmed
> seriously under one, and I'd like to have a look at porting squid-modio
> to one which has a decent (read: scaleable) network and fs archiitecture.
> VSTa exists and is open source, but its sadly lacking in hardware and
> features, and I don't want to take on a third project. :P

No, not really. I have looked at it in theory and like the idea of
microkernels from a design point of view, but it might have some drawbacks in
UP performance. For SMP the performance difference between micro and
monotholic kernel designs should quite minimal, or even to the microkernel
based benefits due to cleaner design with less global locks.

Normally you don't run anything directly on top of a micro-kernel, but run
applications like Squid on top of a POSIX or similar subsystem on top of the
microkernel.

/Henrik