Re: comm code breakout

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:50:14 +0800

On Tue, May 16, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> > Benno and I have been working on tidying up the comm code so new comm
> > loops can be introduced and the existing loops can be optimised.
> > The patchset and new files which go into src/ can be found at
> > http://www.creative.net.au/squid/patches/comm/ . It breaks out
> > poll and select loops into two seperate files, and adds a new
> > one to support the new FreeBSD kqueue code in FreeBSD-current.
> > The select and poll code seem to work fine here, and I'm currently
> > trying to track down some bugs in the kqueue code
>
> Great.
>
> Hmm.. why are you not using the sourceforge CVS for this?

Oops. You're right, a branch should have been created.
Well, want to do it? That way, benno has a place to play
with some more rewrites before the code is merged into
the main tree (Sorry for dobbing you in benno :)

> > I'd like people to look at it and comment on it. I would like to
> > commit this code as soon as possible so work can be done on
> > fixing kqueue and optimising the poll code.
>
> Looks good. However there are some confusion about the
> quick_comm_poll_required() call. It is a generic call and applies to all
> methods, not only poll. It's use is to notify the
> comm_select/poll/whatever code that the filesystem callbacks needs to
> be called often and hence the comm_select/poll/whatever loop cannot use
> a long timeout.

Good point. I'll tidy that up after a branch is created for thie
code.

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@creative.net.au>	rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and