Next Squid version

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 11:19:22 +0200

Duane Wessels wrote:

> My concern is the amount of changes occuring recently. The more beasts
> we kill (commloops, deferred reads, pump, etc) , the longer it will be
> until the next version becomes stable again.

Agreed.

My suggestion is to start a feature freeze of Squid-2.4 soon. But before
that I'd like to commit the policy changes currently in final testing.

Squid-2.4 todo list:

* Policy changes/modularization
* Memory usage optimizations (basically field size adjustments)
* Bug fixes

Suggestions for Squid-2.5:

* commloops and comm_read/write optimizations
* reworked request flow
* clean up the hot object cache
* Kill pump.c
* possibly split the store per cache_dir.
* NTLM authorization
* SSL gatewaying
* Transfer Encoding
* Further memory usage optimizations by seriously considering what needs
to be kept in memory

/Henrik