Re: First bench of 2.4-HEAD branch...

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 19:30:53 +0800

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've posted the first successful benchmark of 2.4-HEAD async. It's at
> the bottom of:
>
> http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/index.html#benchmarks
>
> It's as close as I could manage to match the configuration as compared
> to 2.2S5, so a direct comparison with the earlier benchmarks is
> possible. I'm on the second run now. It took so long to get started on
> actual benchmarking because I had trouble getting the caches to fill! I
> ended up just running a bunch of throwaway datacomm-1 runs.
>
> Any requests? I'll be looking into COSS and some of the other new
> options in 2.4 next. I'll fetch the latest code every couple of days
> from now on and keep you posted of how things are going.
>
> Talk to you later.

COSS is only a sync filesystem right now, and although it could be made
async with some relatively trivial hacks with the diskd or asyncio
disk ops code, I elected to leave fudging it until the store manager/
store IO layer is modified some more to support more useful asyncio
primitives.

Have you thought about trying diskd under Linux?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@creative.net.au>	rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and