Re: First bench of 2.4-HEAD branch...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:55:12 +0200

Joe Cooper wrote:

> I've finished up the four runs I planned for this configuration of
> HEAD. Out of curiosity I'm doing one more at an even lower req rate,
> after that I'll start on other configurations in a couple of hours. The
> first four runs are posted on my site:

Thanks. It proved the current tuning of aufs is really weak and needs a
serious boost to be effective.

Here is something for you to try:

change MAGIC1 in src/fs/aufs/store_asyncufs.h to read

#define MAGIC1 NUMTHREADS*100

This should make aufs a lot more aggressive in using the disk.

It would also be nice if you could do a benchmark of hno-asyncio from
sourceforge. The hno-asyncio branch includes a different I/O sheduler
which should make a lot higher utilization of the threads while
hopefully wasting less CPU time.

Another related request: If would be very nice if you included some
basic systems monitoring in your benches. It tells us a lot how far the
system is loaded and in what ways. This is especially important when
comparing two different implementations like the current 2.4-HEAD and
hno-asyncio.

A simple "vmstat 1" log is sufficient for my needs.

while true; do
  date
  uptime
  vmstat 1 600
done >vmstat.log

You also need to note the start and stop time of the polygraph run so
the polygraph graphs can be correlated to the vmstat data.

/Henrik