Re: ideas

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:13:26 +0800

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD currently has linuxthreads which will do the same as threads
> > do under linux (ie clone() processes with shared data, text and seperate
> > stacks) so it could be made to work under FreeBSD.
>
> So someone has breathed life into that project again? Last time I looked
> at it the project was idle for more than a year and no longer
> maintained, but it was some time ago..

Well it is being used by various linux binaries like staroffice, so I am
guessing it has an active maintainer ..

> Hmm.. a bit of nested logic there.

Not surprising. :-P

> If a store manager dies, then any cache hits currently being read from
> that object directory fails.
>
> If a network I/O manager dies, then any connections currently being
> processed by that network I/O manager also dies.

Yup, those two are given.

> > Ok, Henrik. Lets go for a hybrid for the time being- multiprocess
> > as how you've put it above with the clientlet/servlet model I've proposed
> > for inside the connection manager. I would like to push for some
> > pseudo-code to describe the ideas, rather than lots of English. :-)
>
> Fine.
>
> However the process abstraction level is most appropriate described
> using psuedo english rather than psuedo code. Psuedo code works well
> when dealing with specific details, while english works well for
> describing a design and it's guidelines.

I think I didn't come across right. I was trying to poke some design
thought into a given set of assumptions, which right now I've set
at the multiprocess setup. The idea is that we start designing how it should
fit together as much as possible, dealing with any issues that come up
so we can then decide whther this is the best way to go. If it is, then
we can continue forward writing code. If it isn't, we then change
focus and try another idea.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@creative.net.au>	rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and