Re: html prefetching

From: matthew <matthew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:20:42 -0500 (CDT)

> What I am proposing is to prefetch links referenced by SRC and nothing else.
> These links are automatically requested on user's behalf, so if they are
> expensive, users can't avoid it anyway unless they abort. Anyway, based on my
> observation, usually normal web sites are nice enough that they won't put
> "expensive" objects in those references.

Are they really requested automatically even if the user has automatic
image viewing turned off, or is using Lynx? I realize these are unusual
circumstances in this day, but it might be simplistic to say they're
automatically fetched.

That being said, I can't determine any _better_ generalization, and this
seems to be the only case in which prefetching might be good for the
majority of users, if performance and fairness issues are worked out.