Re: html prefetching

From: <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:00:25 +1000

Yee Man Chan wrote:

> > A pre-fetch has no way to know what link might be "expensive" to follow in
> > terms of resources of the site it is looking at.
>
> What I am proposing is to prefetch links referenced by SRC and nothing else.
> These links are automatically requested on user's behalf, so if they are
> expensive, users can't avoid it anyway unless they abort.

Not one hundred percent correct. They _may_ be requested automatically on the
user's behalf. They may not be, also (depending on their browser settings,
depending on whether there is another proxy downstream of you which may be
caching some or all of the SRC objects, and depending on whether they click
through elsewhere before the page has even finished loading)

> Anyway, based on my
> observation, usually normal web sites are nice enough that they won't put
> "expensive" objects in those references.

Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking, that.