Re: range requests

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:18:09 -0600

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Is squid still handling range requests by downloading the entire object or
> am I missing some magic bit in the HTTP code hidden away?

Yes, normally Squid doesn't pass on range headers when it forwards
requests to origin servers. It will download the whole response
and give the client just the range that it wants.

If the range request is "too complex" then squid might pass
on the range header. Don't ask me what is complex and
what is not. Grep for 'Complex' in the source.

In later versions there is the 'range_offset_limit' option.
If the first range value is larger than this limit,
squid passes the ranger header on to the origin, and
the response is uncachable.

Also, don't forget to add Range: to anonymize_headers,
like I did....

Duane W.