configure.in help

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:23:37 +1000

Hi,
    Under early (until tonights/tomorrow nights snapshot :=) ) versions of
Cygwin, execvp() dies when fd's 0,1 and 2 are closed before it's called. (I
emailed about about that a short while ago). I've provided a patch to the
cygwin maintainers and it will be in the next release (due soon) so it's one
less cygwin-specific line in the code...
However I think we should check for old installations and prevent compiling
with a warning...

The following code will stackdump on broken installs
int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
int i;

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
close(i);
execvp("ls","");

return 0;
}

However I have never written m4 scripts before, and I'm having some trouble
getting it to test. The AC_TRY_RUN is returning to the ok branch, not the
failed branch...

Any suggestions, or should I just make it a README item?

Rob