Re: hot object memory patch

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:07:43 +0800

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000, Duane Wessels wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Thought this might be ofuse to some people. Instead of trying to keep objects
> > less than SM_PAGE_SIZE in memory as 'hot objects', it now makes that amount
> > a configurable parameter. This should make the current transit cache a little
> > more like the hot object cache from yesteryear.
> >
> > Comments? If I don't hear anything I'll commit this next week.
>
> looks good.
>
> I wonder how long until there are no constants in the source code.

.. well, I could just drop the remainder of the code using constants, thus
solving the problem .. :-)

There are a few problems dropping constants like SM_PAGE_SIZE - it could
be done, but it'd make a lot of code more complex. After my next modio
bombing run I'll consider it.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone actually tried bumping up SM_PAGE_SIZE
to say, 64kb, and seeing how that affects performance ?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"If Pascal was elite it would be cool,
<adrian@creative.net.au>	 but it isn't, so its not."