Re: http://1234567890 (fwd)

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:13:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Squid could deal with this by returning a 302 with the
> integer replaced with an IP address.... ?

NOOOOOOOOO!

Even though Berkeley's inet_addr routine has supported this dubious
syntax forever, we shouldn't stoop down to bad decisions made in a
distant past, especially when no-one in his right state of mind used
them anyway (quiz: What's the full address that 10.11.12 translates to
if fed to inet_addr?)

The only use I've seen of the notation is to obfuscate spam. If it
weren't for the legitimate (well, the stupid-but-non-spam) uses of
four digit numeric IP addresses, I'd shut that down too.

It only caters to the spammers. If you're curious what they point to, do
a ping on the command line which will translate the address, do an
nslookup on the IP address and an nslookup on the resulting PTR to
validate DNS authority, then file a complaint at the internet provider.
Even though inet_addr translates them, they are not IP addresses as we
know and love them, will not be and should not be.

Cheers,

                                -- Bert

Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!