Re: http://1234567890 (fwd)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:18:18 +0200

Bert Driehuis wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Duane Wessels wrote:
>
> > Squid could deal with this by returning a 302 with the
> > integer replaced with an IP address.... ?
>
> NOOOOOOOOO!
>
> Even though Berkeley's inet_addr routine has supported this dubious
> syntax forever, we shouldn't stoop down to bad decisions made in a
> distant past, especially when no-one in his right state of mind used
> them anyway (quiz: What's the full address that 10.11.12 translates to
> if fed to inet_addr?)

10.11.0.12

A more interesting quiz is 10.11.5875.

Hint: The last value is the host number.

> The only use I've seen of the notation is to obfuscate spam. If it
> weren't for the legitimate (well, the stupid-but-non-spam) uses of
> four digit numeric IP addresses, I'd shut that down too.

Very much true.

So what about providing an error message telling the user why it isn't
accepted, with a link to go there anyway if they really want to?

Btw, I recently had to enable (and fix) RELAXED_HTTP_PARSER in my
production caches. Users don't buy that it's the web site and/or browser
that is in error when the URL sent to Squid includes newline characters,
especially not when it works using out other proxy servers (NetApp's)...

/Henrik