Re: 2.3STABLE - stability issues

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:58:12 +0200

On 7 Sep 2000, at 20:16, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> wrote:

> Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
>
> > I know there is a config option to define where to place swap.state
> > and one could place it on another disk, but this isn't really a solution,
> > as totally unrelated disk can also get full. Besides this state file
> > really belongs to cache_dir.
>
> Who said that it needs to be a totaly unrelated disk?

 did I say that?
 Is there much difference if we talk about another disk or partition?

> For each cache drive, make two partitions. One for swap.state, one for
> the cache. Dimension swap.state to be large enought to fit a couple of
> times the number of objects estimated in your cache + a couple of days
> of traffic.

 Henrik, I don't get you. Do you object my proposal as pointless?

> swap.state is quite critical.
>
> Another option is to change Squid to not use a disk for swapouts if ther
> isn't enought free space.

 I feel you didn't get me.
 My major point was that squid should recover on its own from disk full
 condition. To stop swapouts isn't perfect solution, because this means
 squid stays in alarm condition until someone manually fixes it. But
 swapouts themselves are not a problem at all. Problem is that squid
 wouldn't even start if it can't write out swap.state.clean. If it can't
 it crashes dirty, and it does NOT recover, ever, until someone manually
 removes some files. It doesn't help if you reduce max cache_dir size in
 config file. Squid won't consider removing objects from store until it
 successfully writes out clean swap.state, which it can't.

 Yes, sure one can setup another partition for swap.state, whatever.
 But this only works if one can guarantee that the partition for swap.state
 will never get full. Anyone could name at least dozen reasons how this
 guarantee can fail in usual and most installations. And IMHO we should
 deal with this by coding squid to handle it, not by writing a FAQ entry.
 Do you agree?

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708