Helpers idea

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:57:41 +1100

I don't know if this is on the to-do list, but I'm thinking of coding up
self-adjusting helper counts.

something along the lines of

n is the number of running helper of a given type
when new jobs are submitted, if the queue length for n is more than 2 * n,
and no helpers have been spawned for n/2 jobs spawn n/10 (rounded up) new
helpers.
if the queue length stays at zero for n/2 jobs kill n/10 helpers.

Yes I know magic numbers are bad - I'll have them in the conf..

Comments/already done/bad idea?

Rob