Re: Squid-2.4

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 05:27:08 +0800

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I think it is about time we settle on Squid-2.4 and get it released, but
> first I'd like a little wote to see if any of the pending changes should
> go in first:
>
> 1) aufs fixes to make it run
> 2) NTLM authentication
> 3) Transfer Encoding
> 4) SSL gatewaying
> 5) Sattelite link enhancements
> 6) Windows port using CYGWIN GNU toolchain
> 7) Authenticator protocol extensions
> 8) cbdata optimisations
>
> anything else I have missed?
>
> My wote is:
>
> Inclusion in 2.4: 1, 6. 1 because the current code simply does not work,
> and 6 because it's changes are quite limited to CYGWIN.

Agreed.

> The rest deferred until the next cycle which will start as soon as
> possible.

I'd like to spend some time making sure the 2.4 code is a little saner
than it is now. For example, during start up the objects being killed
during the rebuild from store log are being logged to store.log causing
it to blow up to stupid proportions. Gotta fix that.

> >From a political view it would be nice to have 2 also, but it contains
> some farily important changes in request processing and I am still a bit
> uncertain about of testing this code has received. (the part I am
> worried about is my part which is required by the NTLM changes, not
> actually the NTLM changes itself..)
>
> We do need to move along. 2.4 has been stomping by far to long now and
> is starting to get in the way for further developments.
>
> Yes, I do know that the 2.4 release is perhaps not in the shape one
> would like it to be for a release candidate, but my goal is now set for
> the next bakeoff.

Agreed. Once some cbdata + mempool optimisations go in, I'm going to want
to follow with network and storage optimisations, and I'd rather not corrupt
the 2.4 branch if its going to become a -STABLE release, since my changes
are .. creative. :)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"If a butterfly flaps its wings in China,
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    will a women get naked in Amsterdam?"