Re: Squid-2.4

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 00:20:45 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I'd like to spend some time making sure the 2.4 code is a little saner
> than it is now. For example, during start up the objects being killed
> during the rebuild from store log are being logged to store.log causing
> it to blow up to stupid proportions. Gotta fix that.

Then do it. Getting 2.4 in shape has a farily high priority as this
needs to get done before we can continue in a civilised manner.

> Agreed. Once some cbdata + mempool optimisations go in, I'm going to want
> to follow with network and storage optimisations, and I'd rather not corrupt
> the 2.4 branch if its going to become a -STABLE release, since my changes
> are .. creative. :)

The cbdata changes does not belong in 2.4 even if it is quite neat and
seems to work. This is mainly why we need to get 2.4 off the ground to
allow for these changes and the work depending on it.

My future vision sees the following Squid versions:

2.4, which is what we have today plus some patches to make it work
better.

2.5, which is basically the things queued up waiting for 2.4 to get
done, plus some things that get mature on the way.

3.0, quite rewritten architecture, both on networking and storage
maintenance. It is entirely possible that this release does NOT support
all of the features 2.5, but we probably need the 2.5 release to know
more of what the architecture needs to support...

/Henrik