Re: Squid-2.4

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 06:58:28 +0800

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > I'd like to spend some time making sure the 2.4 code is a little saner
> > than it is now. For example, during start up the objects being killed
> > during the rebuild from store log are being logged to store.log causing
> > it to blow up to stupid proportions. Gotta fix that.
>
> Then do it. Getting 2.4 in shape has a farily high priority as this
> needs to get done before we can continue in a civilised manner.

Ok. I'm now flipping to "making 2.4 production quality" mode, and I'll
leave my commloops and modio patchsets alone for the time bgin.

> > Agreed. Once some cbdata + mempool optimisations go in, I'm going to want
> > to follow with network and storage optimisations, and I'd rather not corrupt
> > the 2.4 branch if its going to become a -STABLE release, since my changes
> > are .. creative. :)
>
> The cbdata changes does not belong in 2.4 even if it is quite neat and
> seems to work. This is mainly why we need to get 2.4 off the ground to
> allow for these changes and the work depending on it.

Yup, agreed.

> My future vision sees the following Squid versions:
>
> 2.4, which is what we have today plus some patches to make it work
> better.
>
> 2.5, which is basically the things queued up waiting for 2.4 to get
> done, plus some things that get mature on the way.
>
> 3.0, quite rewritten architecture, both on networking and storage
> maintenance. It is entirely possible that this release does NOT support
> all of the features 2.5, but we probably need the 2.5 release to know
> more of what the architecture needs to support...

I like this plan. Duane, other squid-dev'ers, what do you think?

I'd also like to go out on a limb and suggest at least an informal conference
somewhere after 2.4 is released so we can all braindump and continue moving
forward in a unified way. Email is great but sometimes (at least for me)
its good to physically be with a whiteboard. :-)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"If a butterfly flaps its wings in China,
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    will a women get naked in Amsterdam?"