Re: what is squidng

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:44:11 -0500

Yes, it is closely related to Squid. It was a briefly private
development effort undertaken by Swell and an IL-sponsored ReiserFS team
to speed up Squid by the time of the now past Cacheoff. We did, a
little (~10% over the previous fastest 2.2.STABLE5+hno async i/o and
~40% over the current 2.4 tree), and now the cacheoff is over.

It's no longer private, and all of the changes will soon be merged into
branches at the SourceForge CVS. Henrik and Adrian were involved from
the beginning, and so they already have enough familiarity with the new
code to bring it into the current tree easily. Some of those changes
are self contained (reiser_raw storeio module, which requires tight
integration with a ReiserFS enabled Linux kernel) while others touch
most parts of Squid (cbdata callback cleanups).

Adrian's post from a few days ago regarding new developers on squid-dev
was in regard to the members of that effort now joining the 'official'
squid development effort. We just never got around to actually
introducing ourselves. ;-)

The squidng list will likely be decommissioned and future development
discussion will end up here on Squid-dev. Though, I do wonder if folks
will be offended by our blatant Linux-centric view of Squid
development. So it may be wise for us to keep using squidng for
discussion of linux kernel issues (like /dev/poll and linux signals) and
ReiserFS specific stuff. Anyone have strong feelings on those issues?

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances