Re: what is squidng

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:34:42 -0500

Robert Collins wrote:

> Thanks for that. </curiosity>
> Well I for one won't be offended by linux centric discussions: I hack on
> squid on win32 & linux...

I've gotten another reply off-list in favor of keeping all discussion on
the squid-dev list, which is my preference as well. (I'm just
remembering the fits that someone on the ReiserFS list had everytime
Squid-specific ReiserFS enhancements were mentioned, which I don't want
to repeat here on squid-dev.)

But the response I've received had some very valid points: Cross-posting
is confusing and a waste of time, politics of having half of a
discussion on one list and half on another (folks feel left out of the
loop), and a lot of times development for one OS can lead to new ideas
for others. I'd rather not go the separate list route, unless there are
strong feelings against OS specific optimizations on the list.

> If there is going to be a lot of linux-only development discussions (and
> some significant % of the squid-dev members object to that) then perhaps a
> squid-dev-linux list? Or open up squidng?

If squidng is to continue being used, it will be opened, but I hope that
it won't be necessary to keep using it. We won't complain about anyone
elses OS specific talk if they won't complain about ours. ;-)

> However I am sure that kinkie who was recently tuning up performance on a
> big cache would appreciate knowing the reiserfs raw modes - and where
> there's one....

It would be good to have it get more testing. Though it isn't ready for
production usage (we ran it at the cacheoff...it crashed on one of three
runs! 66% success rate isn't great ;-).

I believe sizif will soon have a branch on squid.sourceforge.net for his
reiser_raw storeio interface.

kinkie, if you're reading and would like tarballs and patches of the
reiser_raw Squid before then, contact me offlist and I'll make them
available on my website along with a brief description of how to make
them run (it isn't a simple process!).
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances