Re: Future squid development

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 01:45:24 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I still don't quite get how current STABLE is maintained. I
> understand it that all patches are committed to HEAD, and then
> CVS does some magic and pushes the changes down to STABLE,
> if some CVS revs match. Or are all patches manually pushed
> down to the STABLE?

It is a all manual process.

Historically the path has mostly been that the patch is applied first to
STABLE and then some time later merged to HEAD, but this has changed
recently on request and now pathes are applied to both trees at the same
time, or only HEAD if non-critical.

> In any case, there is some filtering or selection going on what goes
> down to STABLE and what is left out. Question is, is this selection
> (semi)automatic or totally manual?

I prefer to have that filtering before it gets into HEAD in the first
place. After a little while it is not easy to identify one change from
the other. Have spend numerous hours of valuable time splitting
unrelated patches from each other, and it is not a easy task and quite
error prone.

> Now you got me again ;) I don't understand this sentence ;)
> What I meant is that FEAT tree would accept bugfix patches committed
> to STABLE/HEAD, some independant feature patches, but will reject
> changes unsuitable for inclusion in STABLE/FEAT.

Which is entirely doable, provided someone takes the responsibility of
maintaining this FEAT tree and the added support burden of having yet
another Squid version that people use.

> well yes, me being loudest yeller it would be honest, yet I'm not sure
> if I'm suitable for that.

Without a FEAT maintainer it won't happen. Period.

> This is understandable. I wonder, how currently new feature submitted
> by users are handled. Most probably users patch STABLE and patch may
> be incompatible with HEAD. Are these patches handled manually, or left
> aside?

I can only speak for the patches I accept:

They are applied on a branch from HEAD and put on sourceforge until the
patch is a candidate for inclusion into HEAD. While the patch is at
sourceforge it tracks the current developments in HEAD.

> > What might be manageable is if someone takes the role of maintaining
> > this FEAT release and backport changes from HEAD.
>
> is this how STABLE is maintained now?

Not quite. Bugfixes are applied to both STABLE and HEAD where
applicable, and only rarely ported from one to the other (either
direction, depending on the circumstances)

/Henrik