Re: mempools conversions, more ..

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:35:50 +0200

On 8 Oct 2000, at 13:41, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 07, 2000, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:
> >
> > How can you make modules in lib/ to use memPools?
>
> uhm, heh. Good question. :-) At this stage I would say "make the mempools
> code part of lib/" since I actually believe it should be sitting there.

 hmm, I'm afraid its too much integrated with src tree. My first thought was
 to move some stuff from lib into src (head.c and Array.c) just for the sake
 of using mempools.

> Why? Found some evil hackery in lib/ that could do with a mempool treatment?

 httpHeaderAddEntry uses arrayAppend directly and seems to be one of the
 main reasons for high malloc rate of very small sizes.
 After I thought I have moved most malloc hogs on pools, this seems to be the
 next top priority area.
 Also, several places use stackPush/Pop that is defined to point at arrayAppend
 too (Stack.h). These seems to also cause quite alloc/rate with small sizes.
 Therefore we want to put these on mempools.
 I wonder if we can hack them cleanly under lib/ and make them use mempools
 under src/ ?

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708