Re: everything is a file ..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:45:56 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Ok, imagine that the disk subsystem/FS could be written in such a way
> that non-cacheable objects/streaming objects don't ever hit the disk.
> So rather than having the complexity there for *everything* it will
> only exist for non-disk objects.

Problem is how you reliably detect these infinite objects without first
going into VM mode for all objects without a content-length header, or
defer to make such object public until fully cached.

The main problems arise because Squid allows more than one client to a
object retreival. If this isn't allowed then we can quite easily fiddle
around with these areas, to for example make a transition from disk to
non-disk in the middle of a retreival to solve the "infinite object"
issue.

/Henrik