Re: updating squidng ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:32:07 +0800

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000, Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:

> > > store. The only thing the processes share is
> > > a) The backend store
> > > b) The listening socket
> > > c) Some IPC mechanism for sharing the accept() load
>
> Actually it would be nice to have something more yet:
> - shared caches (at least IP, FQDN, authentications, whatever
> and why not? shared in-core cached objects.

.. whats wrong with running a resolver on your localhost which handles
caching? :-)

> > Here's the cute bit - either (a) we can have a socket
> > redirector process
> > sitting at the front of the X squids, or (b) we can modify
> > the ipf/ipfw/
> > ipchains/whatever code to do load-balancing redirection.
>
> (a) has some drawbacks. Either the front-end process does HTTP
> header parsing, or we won't be able to correctly log accesses.
> (b) is heavily OS dependent, I fear.

Nothing wrong with heavily OS dependant if we give people the
option of being able to do it.

> Why can't just the OS do the load-balancing for us? We can't
> sit on accept(), but there should be some other way to just
> let the OS do the job for us.

as far as I know under UNIX, we have to sit on accept(). -)

> > Depends how it is implemented. See, if we use aio, we can
> > schedule reads
> > of the file from multiple processes and have the reads block
> > whilst the
> > object is being written. Squid can't do that now due to how
> > the storage
> > manager is written but I don't imagine it'd be that hard.
>
> Can't we just expand on the diskd concept?
> Idea: the parent process forks one diskd for each storage, and
> passes shmem IDs to all children. Then accesses are done
> through this helper processes farm.
>
> The idea would be to delegate much of the storage management to
> this "storage manager" process. If possible.

Yes, this is right. But say you have a kernel-mode cache FS. You
want the flexibility to use this directly ..

This is what I'm trying to do. Make squid flexible enough to pick
and choose how you want to do things, rather than being locked down
like we are right now.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"It was then that I knew that I wouldn't
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    die, as a doctor wouldn't fart in front