Re: updating squidng ?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:09:47 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@creative.net.au>
To: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: updating squidng ?

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>

> > Sounds like one of the ideas I have..
> >
> > Run multiple "independent" Squid processes, all using the same backend
> > store. The only thing the processes share is
> > a) The backend store
> > b) The listening socket
> > c) Some IPC mechanism for sharing the accept() load
>
> Here's the cute bit - either (a) we can have a socket redirector process
> sitting at the front of the X squids, or (b) we can modify the ipf/ipfw/
> ipchains/whatever code to do load-balancing redirection.

[snip]

Just a couple of potential issues:
Digest and to a lesser extent NTLM authentication will _need_ a shared
credential cache. Digest potentially changes the challenge on every
request-response pair, so all frontend processes will need the same
challenge status information. NTLM challenge-auth caching will lose most of
it's benefits if we push it back out to the helpers - we then have to do two
round trips to the helper for every client connection.

Rob