Re: [Squid-cvs] commloops squid configure.in

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:03:17 +0800

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> adri wrote:
>
> > The devpoll interface exists on solaris 7 (patched) + solaris 8, and
> > there is linux support for it I believe. It is another event driven
> > IO mechanism which should increase performance on platforms which
> > can support it (just like kqueue under FreeBSD).
>
> There are conflicting reports on the effectiveness of devpoll on Linux..
>
> In some uses poll() is faster for large amounts of filedescriptors. It
> all depends on the amount of ready filedescriptors I presume.

I guess we will find out once the code is written, no? :)

In seriousness, I can't see anything in the interface that could cause
things to be slow, so it entirely depends how it is implemented in the
OS. Once I have the implementation working, we can then see how/where
its slow and possibly fix it.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"It was then that I knew that I wouldn't
<adrian@creative.net.au>	    die, as a doctor wouldn't fart in front