Re: MemPools rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:35:02 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> both current and proposed memPools keep track of freelist with an
> array of pointers. I guess this is done to increase the speed of
> allocs/frees, but has quite large memory overhead for allocation
> sizes comparable to size of pointer. On 64-bit systems pointers
> are 8-bytes...

Which can quite easily be addressed by using the object as the list
node. However, that makes the pool very sensitive to misuse after free..

Anyway, this is only for the idle memory in the pool, and should not
make up for a significant amount of memory.

> In chunked design, it is possible to keep track of freelist with
> bit-arrays.

In a list design you don't even need the bitmap.

/Henrik