Re: MemPools rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:23:40 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> I wonder what is meant by "needs" or "required" here. Will program
> brake miserably when alignment is not met, or is it just a matter
> of running slower? That is: how fatal is failing to align?

Again, that varies with the CPU. On some it will be slower, on some the
program will be aborted with "SIGBUS" or a similar error.

On some there is also the issue of ABI (Application Binary Interface)
specifications where a certain alignment is specified, even if not
idetical to the CPU. If this is the case then it might break some
library calls if the data is not properly aligned. However, for the ABI
it is mostly about internal padding in structures, and should rarely or
ever be an issue for the context we are talking of here.

--
Henrik Nordstrom