RE: NTLM authentication, recent logs for Robert Collins

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:30:46 +1100

No. In cannot be done, but squid ALWAYS requests the challenge from the
helper, and kinkie checks that the helper is *waiting* for a negotiate
request (the beginning of the handshake) before renegotiating. I've just
bought DCE/RPC over SMB which should help the development out a little
:-]

The logs show the correct behaviour from squid to the helper and back
again so there is nothing wrong in the squid binary itself.

> --
> Henrik Nordstrom
> Squid Hacker
>

> Dr. Michael Weller wrote:
> >
> > Ok, first:
> >
> > as I said with only 1 authenticator all was reported to be fine.
> > I saw some (few) failures in the log though (same type as before).
> >
> > This time up to 13 requests in a row succeeded but
> sometimes less. Again,
> > never the first auth request after a connect failed. After
> starting squid,
> > no error occured for 60 minutes, then one error every 40
> minutes (+/- 2
> > minute variation).. This doesn't look too random. Ok,
> admitted, I had
> > raised the challenge time period, I'll now lower it to the
> default (even
> > below, I'll take 15 minutes). I'll see in my other logs if
> this could
> > allow for the errors in my previous 10 client config.
> However, i got the
> > errors in the default config. this was my first try. I also cannot
> > remember ever having seen a challenge refresh in the logs
> though. Maybe
> > this is broken?
> >
> > In the meantime, I made the attached hack to the
> ntlm_authenticator to
> > force a new challenge/connection every time. From a
> cryptographic approach
> > (my, a mathematicians, view) I think it is very odd to use the same
> > challenge for many users. From the logs it seems a
> challenge needs <1s and
> > should be ok IMHO (ntlm auth seems slow at the beginning
> anyway). Would be
> > nicer to provide the challenge befor waiting for a new
> request though (too
> > difficult for me now). Also I fear it could expire on an idle squid.
> >
> > Works right now, but I'll have it tested under stress tomorrow.

See my previous post for info on the risks of reusing the challenge.
Regarding handling several requests concurrently - that is done in squid
in the auth_rewrite branch (which is split from ntlm). There is a change
kinkie and I need to make to the helper protocol to allow squid to
signal when it has no outstanding requests for a given helper, but at
the moment that will not affect you.