Re: http/1.1 requirements

From: <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:06:44 +1100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Note: I don't know of any user client which uses HEAD. I have only seen
> robots like wget and various search engines use HEAD.

There are some...well...at least one. I can't name it, but I've seen it's
requests. I suspect strongly that it's a MacOS application.

What burns my socks is when an Origin Server returns a body with the response to
a HEAD (because we're talking to a CGI that ignores the request method, and
assumes everything must be a GET). Some webservers cut the body off before
returning the HEAD response; Some return a server error; Some leave it on.