Re: Cannot cache FTP request (HTTP experts advise needed)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:50:09 +0100

Duane Wessels wrote:

> Yeah, we should add a date header.

The RFC actually requires us to add a date header.

> I have a feeling the special case could be removed because the
> refreshIsCachable() function takes care of those cases anyway.

Probably true.

The check is pretty old however.. was added in Squid-1.0.1 (http.c
1.56.2.40). No explanation except the change log entry saying

  - Changed http.c to not save objects from neighbors which do
    not have Date, Last-Modified, or Expires values.

Then some time later there was a temporary workaround to cache non-HTTP
objects matching the above because of a bug in Squid where no date
header was send on ftp:// replies..

Now back to the problems:

a) Squid does not add a Date header to replies if there is none (at
least not the current development version)

b) Because of the above and the reasons you outlined earlier, we cannot
safely kill the check completely. What we can do is to limit the
requirement to only apply to siblings, and then make sure new versions
of Squid adds a Date header...

/Henrik