RE: Squid memory footprint (was: MemPools rewrite)

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:09:37 +0100

> I wonder how can you eliminate StoreEntry? IMHO it contains crucial
> information that allows squid to skip disk accesses. Moving parts
> of this data into squidfs doesn't seem to change much in ram usage.
> Moving this crucial information onto disks implies enormous
> performance
> penalty, doesn't it?

I don't know if and how it could be done, but what about moving
all storeentry structures in a BIG chunk mmapped on the
swap.state file? This way the OS would be in charge of doing
pagein and outs for us.
Besides, we could save up tons of startup time for swap.state
parsing and checks: just mark the file clean, compute an MD5
checksum and store it somewhere This could allow for
simultaneous access by two processes (synchronous double-checking).
No heap fragmentation problems either, reallocs are easy,
disk space is cheap.
It all seems too perfect. Only disadvantage I can see, we'd have
to implement memory-management on the thing. But if we KNOW
that all objects have the same size (which is not entirely true,
but we could maybe do some storage organization tricks), it should
be relatively easy.

--
	/kinkie