doublecheck

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:50:19 -0700 (MST)

Folks,

I'm sorry for falling behind on email. I should have kept up with
these doublecheck changes.

I really don't like the code that got just got added.

when I originally wrote the doublecheck feature, it was to be used
for offline debugging, never on a live production cache. Thats
why -S option does nothing except abort() if it finds an anomoly.
It was an undocumented "feature" that I had used a couple of times.
Probably it should have been removed.

The code that got committed makes my caches really really slow
during a dirty rebuild.

It is totallly unacceptable to call stat() for every file during
rebuild, no matter if clean or dirty. The rebuild process needs
to be made faster, not slower!

The swapin metadata MD5 and URL checks make sure that we don't swap
in bogus data. I see these stat() calls as superfluous.

I think what you want to do belongs more with the "validation"
procedure. Better to start a background task that calls stat at
a low rate if necessary, after the swap.state files have been fully
read.

Duane W.