Re: doublecheck

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:27:10 +0200

On 13 Nov 2000, at 23:50, Duane Wessels <wessels@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> The rebuild process needs to be made faster, not slower!

 absolutely.

> The swapin metadata MD5 and URL checks make sure that we don't swap
> in bogus data. I see these stat() calls as superfluous.
>
> I think what you want to do belongs more with the "validation"
> procedure. Better to start a background task that calls stat at
> a low rate if necessary, after the swap.state files have been fully
> read.

 stat() would be much faster call if every L2 dir was touched only
 once, that is we wish to sort the files we stat. I think this also
 speeds up MD5/url validations. Sequential disk access and high dir
 cache hitrate are the key.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708