Re: [bmd@mp3.com] patches .

From: Brian Degenhardt <bmd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:02:49 -0800

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:46:47PM -0700, Duane Wessels wrote:

> > The other fixes a problem with squid using it's non FQDN which breaks
> > internal objects when append-domain is set among other things.
> > See http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200008/0080.html
> > for a better explanation of the problem.
>
> There is another way to fix this.
>
> as of version 2.4 there is a 'hostname_aliases' option. So
> if gethostbyname() returns just 'bar' you can probably
> add
>
> hostname_aliases bar
>
> the aliases are searched when we try to figure out if a
> URL is "internal."
>
> I have a slight problem with the proposed patch because
> it instructs people to set visible_hostname if Squid
> can not discover a name with a dot in it. So if you
> set visible hostname to 'bar' and use 'append_domain'
> you still have this problem where internal URLs
> are not identified the way you'd like them to be.

The patch does say "fully qualified domain name". However, one shouldn't
get a warning if hostname_aliases is set such that having a non-fqdn as
visible_hostname doesn't cause any ill behavoir of squid. The problem is
the wrong combination of all these factors can cause _huge_ headaches.

How about if 'bar' was forcibly added to hostname aliases when this
combination of non-fqdn and append_domain were set? Perhaps this could be
done along with a big warning in cache_log.

-bmd