Re: ntlm & auth_rewrite

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:44:13 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@creative.net.au>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: ntlm & auth_rewrite

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > After merging all of auth_rewrite into ntlm I removed auth_rewrite and
> > recreated it from the ntlm branch.
> >
> > I've now completed all the crucial parts of splitting the authentication
> > system into modules a la repl and fs.
>
> Neat!

Thanks.

> > I'd like to move the relationship between ntlm and auth_rewrite around,
> > so that NTLM becomes a branch off from auth_rewrite. This would allow:
> > * development on other auth schemes would not depend on ntlm
> > * the auth_rewrite changes and henrik's replacement to pump.c could be
> > tested and merged upwards without needing the ntlm code to be out of
> > beta.
>
> Well, if you think you can do it, go ahead. I don't want to break CVS
> *that* badly before he gets back.

What sort of break could I cause? I was planning on the following to do the
switcheroo...

merge ntlm against HEAD (as currently done).
merge auth_rewrite against ntlm (as currently done).
mergeinit auth_rewrite against HEAD.
merge auth_rewrite against HEAD.
mergeinit ntlm against auth_rewrite.
merge ntlm against auth_rewrite.

That shouldn't break anything. And then the subsequent merges will all be
ntlm against auth_rewrite and
auth_rewrite against HEAD.

subsequent module/authenticate.c and acl.c changes take place in
auth_rewrite.
subsequent ntlm enhancements and changes take place in ntlm.

> > And finally I'd like to suggest that the auth_rewrite (minus ntlm) be
> > included in 2.5 or 2.6.
>
> Once that fs bug has been licked from squid-2.4 and the codebase is
stable,
> I *will* start bringing across sourceforge stuff. The reason that I
haven't
> already done this is because that aborted client bug is classified by me
> as "serious" and I'd rather solve that before introducing any more
possible
> gotchas in the squid-HEAD source.

oh for sure. I wasn't meaning to push, just to make getting the various bits
into HEAD easier.

> Unless anyone really objects, I'd like to merge:
>
> * Benno's SSL acceleration (when he updates it :)
> * the NTLM/auth rewrite
> * kinkie's ACL changes

I'd like to incorporate Kinkie's ACL changes in auth_rewrite now (if no-one
objects). They are authentication enhancements after all :-]. Kinkie doesn't
mind either way (already checked).
<snip>

Rob