Re: idea

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:52:10 +1100

Actually,
  on looking at it there's little point (today). The mean object size is
already calculated and available to the user, and AFAICT we only initialize
the hash_buckets once (storeInit is called from mainInitialize).

so while we are keep the in memory state accurate, calculating the mean and
putting it somewhere won't do much :-]

If however, we do any reallocation based on the average object size during
run-time, then knowing the average of each store dir might be useful... and
for that I'd put the number of active objects in the *swapdir into the
_SwapDir struct - after that we could trivially calculate the per dir
average at need.

* or should I just use the number of filemap bits in use? (as that should =
the number of stored objects)

I still don't know the store stuff well.... so do we do any runtime
[re]allocations that are based on average object size?

Or should I just (put the object counter in, and some stats to show the per
store count & averages) do it anyway?

Rob