RE: squid-2.4.DEVEL4 & 'sendfile()' and/or setsockopt(fd, SOL_TCP , TCP_CORK,

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:27:11 +0100

> Hi,
>
> From the source-code of squid 2.4 devel 4 I saw (grep
> sendfile src/*) that
> squid is not using the 'sendfile()' command. Is there any
> reason for that?

I don't know about squid, but I have experience from
another similarly-structured application, the Roxen
Server (http://www.roxen.com/). In Roxen sendfile(2) is
not used because it's broken on all systems offering it
(various reasons, most often than not it leaks memory),
and it's bad design: sendfile(2) is blocking, so to use
it at best a threads farm is needed, with all the portability
and performance headaches such a choice has.

--
	/kinkie