Re: Squid FS API, round 2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:30:13 +0100

Well, I think I tend to agree in princple. I do not like the
StoreEntry/StoreClient/MemObject construct currently employed. But I do
not think we share exactly the same view.

I envision two central structures in the request processing:

a) request
b) reply

The request structure keeps the state information for the actual
request.

The reply is the return traffic and can be fed from different locations:

b1) network protocols (HTTP, FTP, Gopher, whatever)

b2) object store

b3) internally generated object (error pages, cachemgr or whatever
similar)

b4) Maybe a hot-object reply cache, but I think this belongs inside the
object store concept.

Data fetched from network (b1) are also sent to the object store for
future reference, as a form of copying while forwarding.

From your talk it seems you envision having the object store the central
point connecting everything, while I have it a little on the side of
things..

So no, I do not want to give too much intelligence to the object store
or related interfaces. Instead I'd like to view it as just an object
store.

/Henrik