Re: PATCH: Cygwin: file mode support and ufs writecleanswap bugfix

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:30:41 +1100

A) When I first looked at Romeo's port it was of 2.2 and was feature incomplete
B) It is an 'NT' port. The cygwin port runs on windows 9x & ME as well. This raises possibilities of massively distributed caches.
C) Romeo's NT port requires MS Visual C to compile - not all developers users have that.
D) new development is being done by you guys in a UN*X platform - I don't believe that Romeo's port supports shared mem daemons
(which cygwin can).
E) Currently the NT port requires work at each step to bring it up to date - because cygwin is 'unix like' little or no work should
be required on each release to bring it up to date.
F) I am aiming at slowly bringing across the 'native' NT features as configure script options for Cygwin.

Rob