Re: storeGet() -> storeGetPublic() ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:13:54 +0800

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001, Robert Collins wrote:
> perhaps provide a set of routines that allow a fs to build a in memory index, then something like reiserFS could optionally pass all
> additions/purges through those routines, thus generating a in memory index - and then digest capability. Yes for reiser it's
> additional code with no purpose but creating digests, but on the other hand it'd be very modular and thus easy to #define on or off
> for the cache administrator to choose...

I thought about that, but then the digest implementation would have to
track the refcount on all the bits. Which could potentially blow up
the digest creation space by quite a bit.

Not that I mind, if people decide this is how they want to go. It also
means that additions/deletions could happen without periodic rebuilding
of the digest..

I really would like to make the cache digests an integral part of the
storage manager. They could make disk-based schemes such as reiserfs_raw
nearly as fast as the "traditional" squid method of performing lookups,
without burdening the kernel with strange cache memory management
requirements.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Here's five for the cake, and
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  five to buy a clue."