Re: NTLM + auth_rewrite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:49:00 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> * there is a lot of variation in the needed helper support for each scheme ie some schemes may not use helpers/ some like ntlm need
> very complex helper support/ some need very little like basic & digest.

The basic message format between Squid and the helper could still be the
same, the difference is the amount&type of information passed, and
amount of state kept at both ends..

> * the schemes already register when they are configured. multiple
> helpers & auth schemes will co-exist in what I believe are
> fundamentally different fashions for each scheme - ie

Ok.

The reason why I came to think about this was that a single NT-Domain
helper should be able to quite easily handle both NTLM and Basic (using
NTLM to the domain controller), but it is a quite small benefit and not
very important.

> * backend provided group information (ie in the acl have group names, and then the helper tells us that john is in group
> internet-users.

This and more in that direction I have some old notes on...

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/199912/0031.html

> * upstream modular auth code - so squid can login into an
> upstream proxy using digest (or _shudder_ ntlm). are important
> features.

And proxying of NTLM authentication. Mainly for those who run
transparent proxies...

> Finally I do think that a semi-standard message format, so we
> can provide helper parsing code in authenicate.c would be a good idea.

True.

/Henrik