Re: userlogging module?

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:45:01 +0200

On 15 Feb 2001, at 23:18, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:

> They'd like to be able to import the access.log info into an external
> database. Instead of doing it by tail -f'ing the logfile or
> periodically, they'd like to do it in real time.
>
> They'd also like to be able to log the username in the access.log entries
> when userauth is being used.
>
> Now, I'm sure the latter is easy. However, the former sounds like a nifty
> idea. I was thinking about breaking out the access.log code to use
> an external helper (to keep the data serialised).

 (or centralised)

> This has the added sideeffect of allowing us to implement async logging
> since the log file write is in a different process.
>
> What do people think?

 good. I've had also request for similar feature. We are doing acceleration
 for several of our customer web sites, and they want to have hit logs.
 Currently we gzip nightly and they grab them. logs are huge...
 Ideal would be if one could specify by ACL's or something where given
 access.log entry should be forwarded.
 logging must not block service, so I think it should be UDP based?
 (hmm, syslog?)

 Isn't it easier and/or more efficient to implement inside squid?

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708
 Pärnu mnt. 158, Tallinn,