RE: userlogging module?

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:29:14 +0100

> It depends if the db code thats out there lets you break the
> db accesses
> out into async chunks focused around poll/select.

None that I know of (miniSQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase).
However, (p)threads are fairly common by now, and starting a
blocking thread to do the logging could be a reasonable
design decision. It is to be of course determined if the DB
of choice can handle the heavy load of INSERTs that Squid would
generate, (and frankly I believe that it would be a SERIOUS
bottleneck).

> If not, then you could possibly risk a stall if the sql
> functions don't return immediately.

Yes, this is a definite problem. Also, SQL functions are SLOW
(as compared to the workloads we intend to manage). So either
it's async, or it has to be an helper.

--
	/kinkie