Re: gcc bug affects NTLMSSP authentication helper

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:10:11 +0800

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001, Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:
> There is a bug in gcc version egcs-2.91.66 which under certain
> conditions can cause the NTLMSSP helper to fail with with a
> segmentation violation or illegal instruction error.
> Such an occurrence (which happens when a Domain Controller
> can't be contacted to obtain a challenge) will cause the helper
> to crash and squid to die as a result.
>
> The bug occurs AT ANY OPTIMIZATION LEVEL ABOVE AND INCLUDING
> "-O".
>
> The compiler is the one shipped by default of
> Red Hat Linux 6.2, and possibly other Gnu/Linux distributions.
>
> For our fellow gurus: should we enable some workaround via
> configure, should we try to work around the gcc bug by
> changing the code, should we put some warning in the
> INSTALL file or something else?

Ah. Right. Well, how about you try the latest gcc to see if
they've fixed it, and if they haven't, forward them the
information (code snippet triggering the bug, resulting
assembly code, gcc flags, etc) so they can try to fix it?

We've already had to work around on FreeBSD because of
gcc optimation bugs (in the internal DNS code, from memory),
its going to get *REAL* annoying if we have to keep working
around gcc bugs ..

adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Romance novel?"