Re: Feature request noticed in bugzilla

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:46:29 +0200

 Seems that there is no standard way for it. If I recall it right, then
 somewhere during digging into that matter with solaris I stepped across
 clear statement, that any options in TCP header can be accessed only via
 raw socket snooping. Probably its a matter of library interface, but we
 don't have it yet.
 I think MSG_PEEK wouldn't give it either, as it gives only data, not
 any upper level options... I may be wrong.

On 6 Mar 2001, at 13:43, David Luyer <david_luyer@pacific.net.au> wrote:

> We have someone requesting to be able to select delay pools via TOS bits.
> What that really means is they need an ACL which can select based on TOS
> bits.
>
> However I can't think how we would query the TOS bits on an incoming
> socket; there must be a way... (and something better than watching the
> incoming SYN's via a packet filter socket or receiving raw packets via
> a raw socket at that :-). There's no match for "type of service" in the
> libc info files on Linux or relevant man pages. I'd expect being able
> to recvmsg with MSG_PEEK on the listening socket instead before doing
> an accept() or something like that.
>
> David.
> --
> David Luyer Phone: +61 3 9674 7525
> Engineering Projects Manager P A C I F I C Fax: +61 3 9699 8693
> Pacific Internet (Australia) I N T E R N E T Mobile: +61 4 1111 2983
> http://www.pacific.net.au/ NASDAQ: PCNTF

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708