Re: Feature request noticed in bugzilla

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:02:38 +0800

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001, David Luyer wrote:

> Andres Koonmaa:
> > > Seems that there is no standard way for it. [...]
>
> Me:
> > It looks like it should be possible but I couldn't get some test code to
> > work and it's not clear from the kernel source that IP_RECVTOS works on
> > TCP (I would've thought that it could easily be stored for a TCP session
> > and retrieved by a simple query). I'll try and look again later.
>
> Alexey pointed out how it is meant to be possible but it isn't (IP_RECVTOS
> followed by IP_PKTOPTIONS). Someone working on a different, closed-source
> caching project (are you on this list? :-) pointed out that they pass
> through the TOS from incoming sockets to outgoing if desired and provide
> a wide range of TOS-related options (setting/querying the TOS in access
> control, etc). I guess you get this extra flexibility by controlling the
> project right down to the kernel level.
>
> Basically, on Linux, TOS can only be set, the incoming TOS of a TCP packet
> can't be queried on a stock kernel without actually capturing the packet to
> examine it.

I can't find anything in FreeBSD, but it might exist.

In any case, perhaps its time to add something to getsockopt()? :-)
If its standard between *BSD and LInux, its all good.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd		"The fact you can download a 100 megabyte file
<adrian@creative.net.au>  from half way around the world should be viewed